Bonqula (Richmond, BC)

Firstly Happy New Year. Hopefully this year I'll be able to add more to this blog, considering I only have classes one day a week. Back to the reviews...

Hidden off of Alexandra road in Richmond B.C., Bonqula (pronounced Bon-ku-la) is a refreshing Japanese restaurant that should be tried. I went during the winter break after reading about it on dineout.ca

Prices are a little bit above average but well worth what is served. The restaurant isn't a typical Japanese one and very different from the typical asian

I actually got to the restaurant pretty late and it was very empty. This worried me cause empty places tell me that they aren't great. I think because of its location a lot of people don't see and know about it.

The waiter gave us a small appetizer of sliced bread that was made in store by the chef. Apparently she makes a batch everyday. It reminded me of pound cake and was quite savory.

I tried the chicken curry nabe noodle dish, which was served with rice. The portions didn't seem huge but ended up being quite filling. It was about $15 if i remember correctly. The curry flavor was very light and didn't overwhelm the other tastes and wasn't super spicy either. The chicken was not too bad as well. The dish was quite tasty, not anything super special but satisfying all the same.




I assume because it was the holidays they gave us a awesome complimentary dessert. Seriously who doesn't love free dessert? The small sundae dish was sweet and simple, consisted of vanilla ice cream, corn flakes, and green tea grass jelly. The interesting combination made for a great finish to the meal.



The severs were also really nice and friendly (I'm big on friendly severs) and you could tell they were actually authentic Japanese running a Japanese restaurant unlike most you see. I'd definitely go back again perhaps during lunch and give something else a try off their large menu.

3.5 food comas out of 5

Bonqula
http://s1.shard.jp/bonqula/
#165-8460 Alexandra Road Richmond,BC

0 comments: