Fresh Thinking, Fresh Cooking

Last Thursday my friends and I were thinking about the upcoming Thanksgiving weekend that was headed our way and all the good food that comes with it. One of my friends mentioned that White Spot had a Thanksgiving meal the entire weekend so we headed over for lunch. We headed to the Quadra and Mackenzie location. Upon arrival and inspection of the menu we found no trace of a 'Thanksgiving meal' to our disappointment. So instead we had to make do with what was being served. White spot recently revealed some new burgers in their 'legendary lineup' and two of my friends got the same Roma Burger: "Our 6 oz. 100% fresh Canadian beef burger with crispy baked prosciutto, tomato basil salsa, provolone cheese and basil aioli". 11.99. One also decided to add the new garlic fries (house-made garlic topping and lemon-basil aioli on top of fries. 0.99) Another one went for a old favourite, the mushroom burger. I on the other hand did not feel like a burger, so after scanning the menu for quite some time i settled on the chicken quesadilla and Caesar salad.

I was satisfied with the food, as white spot is usually (but not always) consistent in that department. My dilla came with a sour cream and salsa dip and was very tasty. The 3 slices were very hot from first bite and there was quite a good amount of chicken as well. The side Caesar salad was your very typical lettuce, croutons, parma cheese and dressing. Nothing too spectacular about it in general. However my friends Roma burger was quite undercooked and he had to send it back to the kitchen. The waitress got him a new burger and his meal was no charge either. However by the time he got his second burger the rest of us had basically finished our meals. The garlic fries were not even worth single dollar he paid for the entire meal. They were basically their regular fries topped with loads of garlic. The one I tried tasted like I was eating pure garlic. Though the quality of the food at White Spot isn't too bad, I find there's always a problem whether its the service, the wait, or the food itself. It just depends from time to time.

When we first arrived around 11am it wasn't too busy, but it soon picked for the lunch hour and the restaurant was packed. Service was alright throughout our dining experience. The waitress seemed to be scrambling around to do things but she was around when we needed her.

Even though White Spot has been trying to rebrand themselves as a higher quality dining experience, I still think its only a few steps above fast food. Select items from their menu are always great, like their milkshakes and apparently their blueberry pie too (who doesn't freakin' love pie!?), however if I had a choice I'd most likely choose somewhere else to eat.

2.5 food comas out of 5

The next few posts will be about places in Vancouver since I went over for the weekend. I'll probably do that from time to time.

0 comments: